IXL Maths - Practice that feels like play.
Dynamic, adaptive learning at St. Colman's
Maths learning that stays with you
IXL is a practice environment that rewards hard work—after all, with dynamic, unlimited questions, guessing your way to success isn't exactly an option. Instead, we encourage students to learn from their mistakes, and move through new challenges at their own pace. There's no feeling that can match mastering a skill on IXL, since it comes with the satisfaction of knowing you really do “get it”.
As teachers we approach each maths concept from all angles, offering visual representations, word problems, interactive activities and more. As Maths coordinator I advocate IXL for our children because it offers an abundance of maths problems for every learning style, students can't help but build lasting skills and confidence.
On the last Friday of every month we celebrate pupil success and achievement during assembly. We look for those children that have a) mastered the most skills in each class during the previous month and b) those children that have made the biggest month on month improvement. We also reward the class in the school that has answered the most questions correctly during the month.
Winners recieve a prized homework voucher and a prize of their choosing.
You know what you have to do if you want to be next!
IXL is a great maths website to help children practice their maths skills. There are an unlimited number of practice questions in thousands of skills—all of which are aligned to the national curriculum. One of the best things about IXL is that your child can access it from home, so you have a chance to see your child's progress!
To get your child started on your home computer, please follow these easy steps:
- Click on the link above.
- Enter your child's username and password and click Sign in. Please contact school if you don't have your Child's Details.
- Click on Maths at the top of the page and navigate to your child's year level.
- Find a skill to practise by doing one of the following:
- Select a specific skill to practise from the list of skills. You can place your mouse over any skill to see a sample question and click on the link to begin.
- Go to the Awards section. Each year level presents challenges for your child to conquer and virtual prizes to be uncovered. Place your mouse over any challenge to begin.
In addition to making maths practice exciting, IXL is designed to help your child learn at his or her own pace. The website is adaptive and will adjust to your child's demonstrated ability level. The site also saves all of your child's results, so you can monitor your child's progress anytime by clicking on the Reports at the top of the page.
Pupil Prompt Sheets for Weekly Skills Tests